Thursday, December 31, 2009

First Chemo Treatment for Marousa Wed. Dec. 30th 2009

LET'S RING IN THE NEW YEAR WITH A LITTLE POISON! ANYONE IN?  HAHAHAH

I fretted all week (except Christmas day) about the day of chemo. The day I subjected myself for prevention reasons, to Adromyacin and Cytoxin. For longevity reasons, for less recurrence reasons, for my family to "enjoy" me longer---lol,  for my boys to have a Mom longer. I kept wondering why it wasn't for ME. It just isn't. If it were for me.... I won't go there.
I wrestled with God about this whole thing alot. Especially for my Mom. I meditated Monday and prayed on my porch swing smelling the healing garden flowers of jasmine and gardenias and came to a place of peace. Finally.

First:  ON Tuesday before chemo I went to my my first Accupuncture appointment with Dr. Shila at my friend Michele's house. During my time with diagnosis, my good friend Michele who runs my boys school was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at age 40. Horrible. She had been getting accupuncture and holistic treatment from Dr. Shila who also teaches at the boys' school. I was told by my sister Zoe that it helps through chemo and cancer. So I did it! It was very interesting! It relaxed me all day and night too. He is ordering me anti cancer herbs and chinese medicine to compliment chemo.
I am into complimentary therapies that go with our American medicine. It amazes me what American doctors don't tell you that other countries have success with!  That's another blog, another day.

Wed bright and early I woke to go get my treatment. My friend Joe, Mom, sister Linda all wanted to go. I said Zoe was meeting me and Ben driving me there (my chauffer lol) and that would be good. Joe brought dinner over later, he's an angel.
Zoe comes walking in with a big black bow on her head and a faux leopard coat and black boots.
"My chemo day is not your fashion show!"  We had a huge huge laugh.

When I was called in I felt my heart jump a little. THIS WAS IT. THE DAY I HAVE BEEN DREADING FOR TWO MONTHS. NO MORE PUTTING IT OFF FOR WEDDING, CHRISTMAS..
The nurse was sweet and Zoe came back with me (allowed one person) to my "chair." The CHEMO CHAIR!  The nurse explained that she would give me adivan to relax me first in my port and she scrubbed the port area. Zoe read a magazine and rubbed my leg as tears streamed down my face.
The nurse poked my port (big ouch) with the IV that was flat at taped it.
THUS BEGAN THE DRIPS.  Adivan relaxed me and put me to sleep!!! An anti nausea drip and then the Cytoxin was put on the drip and a steroid. I started snoozing. I awoke when she came in with two big red syringes of Adromyacin and explained I was almost done and the she would just inject those by hand into the IV.  ALMOST DONE? An hour and a half had gone by. LOL
Well, I wasn't dead yet!!  The nurse said the red stuff would make me pee red too and not to be alarmed. hahahah  Christmas colors! 
20 minutes later I was good to go. 
We picked up four RX from the pharmacy for nausea (compazine and zofran) adivan, and an anti allergic med, dexo something. Got home at 2pm-- but by 5pm the nausea started.
I took the meds. NOTHING. While the boys ate delicious Joe Mango (my friend the chef) food,
I wanted to wretch. But couldn't. Popsicle? Ginger ale?  Crackers? Ginger tea?
After five hours of nausea--I called the on call doc at Moffit. I was done, done, done, with feeling sick to my stomach and not even vomiting!!!  He said to up the frequency of the meds. I took them all again. and fell asleep around 1am.
At 2am Yiani was knocking on my door telling me that Niko had not slept all night and that his head hurt and that he thinks he has a concussion from knocking his head on Vic's leg brace during football that day!!  JUST what I needed. But hey, such is life with boys.
Today, New Year's eve day-- I awoke queezy. Crackers, ginger-ale, tea, didn't help but the meds did.
I went back to Moffit at 11am for the Neulasta white blood cell shot in the tummy.  That comes with it's own set of side effects in three days--joint and bone pain I was told. But the way it raises your white cells to fight off colds and such is the major benefit, so apparently it's worth it.
 I was red and flushed all day like I had a sunburn. Side effect of chemo is what I read and was told.  NO BLUSH NEEDED  LOL   Headaches go with the territory too. Mine is non stop.
         It's New Year's eve and we've been invited to my daughter in law's home, Mr. Koulias' to celebrate. Big Fat Greek New Year!
Hopefully I will feel good enough to go. Right now I'm feeling the warmth of prayers from my family, my FB friends, my travel buddies and my relatives all over the world!  I love you all!  muaaa!

        I want to go wig shopping very soon! Anyone want to           join? Blonde, Red, Brunette? :)

                HUG SOMEONE TODAY AND LET THEM BE THE FIRST TO LET GO. AND               REMEMBER GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.


         MOM:  Monday her port, Wednesday her chemo!
                        Cancer Shmancer is our motto!

4 comments:

  1. Marousa, My Dear Sister,
    I hate that you have to endure all of this. It breaks my heart to see my loved ones suffer so. My comfort, between my tears, has come from The Lord we love. Praising Him for His promises and trusting Him and His eternal existence. I pray you will know He is by your side each and every step you take. Look to him for your streagth and help. May you know and believe, many brothers and sisters in Christ, lift you and Mom up in prayer daily. Let this be our CANCER SCHMANCER verse from Psalm 121


    I lift mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved:He that keepeth thee will not slumber.

    I love the picture you posted of Mom and Paulie. It trills my heart that our family is so in love with each other. The sweetness on their faces makes it hard for me to stop looking at them. It says a million words about them and our love for one another.

    You have always been my hero when it came to over coming obstacles. Hope I can help you with this one.

    Love you a WHOLE BUNCH ALOTA,
    Linda xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marou-- I'm so sorry for the discomfort you are experiencing. I pray that it's not so bad and that you can still do the things you want to do while going through chemo. I know the great family you have and how much support and love they have for you. That will help. Please know that I'm thinking of you often. Thank you for sharing your journey. HUGS, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. tHANK YOU JANET. I feel your hugs.

    Linda-- you mean the world to me. Please
    be assured that you help me by sacrificing everything and coming here to FL to care for Mom-- when I cannot.
    I love you.
    And Zoe-- you know how important you are-- thanks for being there for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marousa,

    You gain streangth, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face ~ Elenor Roosevelt

    I am so incredably proud of you. Your going to beat this parasite, your mom is going to be fine. I just wish that I could take away some of the burden. It breakes my heart to hear of you being in so much pain.

    I'll be trying to get down there to help you out with the farm soon. Until then, know that I care about you and am forever routing for your team!

    ReplyDelete