Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Triple Negative Breast Cancer-- what the heck?

WOW,  after researching my subtype of cancer in more detail, I found myself sinking into a depression today.  It's just not a promising type to have! All the stories you hear about it being so winnable are from women who they treat with all the great new drugs out there now. I don't qualify for those drugs because I am Triple Negative for any receptors that are estrogen or progesterone releated. God really is wanting me to hand it over to HIM!

On a great note:  Moffit called today, I called them AGAIN and left another message this morning--and they got Mom in for Dec. 1st and promised to squeeze her in sooner if possible. So this Friday for first consultation with Morton Plant with Mom, then hopefully Moffit soon! Squeaky wheel gets....
oK SO Today Ms. Sunshine is not so sunny!  I can't be positive 24/7 it seems. I got down on myself and convinced myself that if I didn't think positive 24/7 I would spread my disease, my demon affliction.
By the post below, I'm not alone! LOL I got this post off of the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation Site.  The only site dedicated to 1/3 of the breast cancer population, LIKE ME.

SHE WRITES:
It is a little unnerving to be told by lots of people that my prognosis depends on having a "positive attitude." In the book Breast Cancer Journal: A Century of Petals by Juliett Wittman, she writes that living in Boulder, Colorado, she was particularly exposed to the idea that we create our own reality, including disease, and how she struggled with that. Her therapist explained to her one day that a study he had just read found that women with breast cancer who had a hostile attitude toward their doctors had a better outcome that those who had a positive attitude all the time. I'm really really paraphrasing here because I can't find the book. And I'm not advocating for hostile or against positive attitudes. And I'm not saying there is NO mind-body connection. But I don't think we created our disease with our minds and I think it's a huge burden to try to have a "positive attitude" all the time.

Well, I think I'll get hostile and tell off my doctors-- hahahah   J/K  

Let me tell you, laughter is the best medicine. I talked to my brother Gary and he had me in stitches with his humor! It perked me right up. Perhaps cancer patients need a comedy club membership?

Here's the triple negative breast cancer site-- http://www.tnbcfoundation.org/    aka   TBNC    
The more we know, the more we can push for research and funding for this type of cancer too.

I'm getting back UP-- hugs to all--

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pic of you and the boys at the bottom of the blog! Regarding a positive attitude- you have a good point- you can't be expected to always have a good attitude--you're going to have so many emotions. Don't feel guilty about them! One positive thing here is that this cancer schmancer was found early. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering what you and your mom are facing, you do not need to have a smile on your face 24/7. God will hold both of you in his hands and bring you through it. He always uses these type of circumstances to grow us in some way and be available to others who come along after us going through this. Love ya, Heidi

    ReplyDelete