Sunday, February 28, 2010

It's been a while!

Well the month got away from me and I'm catching flak (sp) for not writing in my blog!

Here is the latest:  Mom had her fourth and final dose of AC on Wed. Feb. 17th.  She had a very hard time this time round. Her white cells dropped so low, she had to have a blood transfusion a few days ago. That has made her feel better, and able to get out of bed too. Her fatigue and weakness were incredibly bad, but she sounded better today and is going to pull out of this! Mom will have four more doses, but of a different chemo, called Taxol. She will have another week off before she starts her Taxol round.

I had a bad reaction to my 3rd dose of AC at the end of January. The lining of my stomach was burning and irritated and severe pain everday. I was put on 'gerd' meds. That did not take away the pain.
My Dr. said I should skip a week and see if I healed enough to try the last dose of AC in my 3rd week (instead of the densley dosed two week interval.)  In my 3rd week since my last dose of AC, (Feb. 14th)
not only was I not completely healed, but we went away to the Extreme Polynesian Beach House.
My doctor said, "let's start fresh with your new chemo Taxol, when you return--Feb. 23."  The regimen for both mom and I is 4 doses of AC, then 4 doses of Taxol. Two weeks apart.
So that is what I did-- I received Taxol on Feb. 23.
I thought I was going to get lucky--because the day after my infusion with Taxol, I was feeling fine!
And, though Taxol is a highly allergic chemo, (major doses of steroids must be taken the night before) I suffered no "reaction" during my infusion either. Let me tell you, I was so terrified, I questioned my faith!
So I had to praise God all the way home-- "no reaction!"
But then... it hit me. From Thursday till now, (Sat. night) I have had the most exruciating bone and joint pain in my legs, knees, hips, feet, ankle, arms, ribs..... horrific. The on call oncologists have me taking Percocet.
It really doesn't make a dent in the pain. Advil partners with the percocet, but again, not even a dent.
I haven't slept, and I really am done with being in pain!  I am hanging on by the grace of God almighty. Otherwise I would go crazy.
To make matters worse, my good friend was killed in an auto accident Monday morning, and as if I wasn't upset enough over that and my Mom, my brother David had a seizure that sent him to the hospital these last two days!  He is going to be ok, but too many things at once== and all while I'm trying to deal with chemo pain.  Pray hard for me, for all of us. It's been a rough week!
                                  I know you all are, just reminding you, thank you!
I hang on to the hope that there are only three more doses left--- THREE!  But my good ole doc will have to get me on some type of patch to deal with this pain for the subsequent treatments. I can't bear to have my children hear me moaning in my bed anymore. And it's just not acceptable to suffer that much.
So pray for the Dr. to have wisdom in dealing with this horrible side effect. I read on the Taxol site that
numbness and neuropathy in the hands and feet is the common side effect of TAxol , and the pain I'm feeling is UNCOMMON. Wow.   
And pray Mom does not have this side effect when she starts Taxol-- I'm sure she won't. I'm just "sensitive."
Mom and I will now be on the same schedule / chemo week (unless one of us has to skip again.)
I am simply one dose ahead of her. She will receive her first Taxol on March 10, while I receive my 2nd does March 9th.
Losing my good friend Sue has awakened me once again.... to the idea of living everyday as if it were your last. To the practice of hugging and expressing your love and appreciation daily to all around you.
To saying the words, "love you" often. Dance like no one is watching! Sing karaoke! I do! Have no regrets
and praise God everyday-- he is not the source of our troubles, but the comforter when they come.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."

 Now let's talk about our vacation!! see below
I am sooo glad we seized the opportunity to go away from Feb. 14-19th with the whole family to an incredible island off of Long Boat Key called "Jewfish Key".
I landed an incredible deal thanks to a wonderful lady who owns the property. All of us descended on this "heaven" on earth beach house that looks like the Swiss Family Robinson Tree house on STEROIDS!  the island is only 1/2 mile long with trails through the woods. Only four houses on the whole island, Two vacant. One had renters for the week that we met. Then there was US!  We had our own private beach, dock, boat to use, kayaks, the whole house-- paradis!  The boys had so much fun and needed the breake just like the rest of us. Mom and Linda had a ball! Zoe and Billy even joined us for a day and a night! Valentine's night was sooo special on our own private island!  
Priase God for such an awesome time-- and the renewal of  strength to be able to get through some more chemo! 

3 comments:

  1. YES, WE HAD A BLAST !!!
    It was an "Extreme" vacation none of us will soon forget. Our family never wanted to leave. Our Lord has given us such beautiful things to enjoy so we will understand, on a small scale, what He has for us in the "new heaven and earth"
    Thank You Marousa for pulling the whole trip together for the family.
    Praying for you. Trust in The Lord with all of your heart.
    Love you Bunches,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update, Marou. 3 more - you can do it! I'm so proud of you! Love the pic of the Placiotis Ladies! :) xo Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marousa,
    I just signed up to your cancer schmancer blog. I had no idea you were going through so much agony. I am praying for you, mom, and your family for a speedy recovery. God bless you.

    blessings,
    Sandi Devon

    ReplyDelete